Sunday, November 2, 2008

Missionary experience

I had the wonderful opportunity to share what I believe in with a co-worker. I really enjoy my co-worker, she is very artsy & open minded about so much stuff.

In California we have a big divide with one of our propositions on the ballet - prop 8. It is basically about yes on keeping marriage between man & women or no so gay marriage is legal. This has really torn me from my moral & ethical obligations.

I realize we are here on earth because we chose sides prior to this in our premortal life. I am here to try to be like Christ (I am so far from it, but I strive every day to make the right choices) & to once again be with him.

This starts my missionay experience. On Friday, my co-worker, who happens to be a lesbian, asked me about prop 8. I tried to stay out of it because I didn't feel comfortable at first. She wanted to know what I thought about prop 8 because she knew I was LDS. She told me that she wouldn't take any offense to what I would say because she knew I was a good person & everyone has their own beliefs. I started out with the Plan of Salvation & what I believe happens in the premortal life, this life & after we die. I explained to her that I believe we must be married in the Temple to enjoy the blessings of exhaltation & to live with our Father in Heaven again. I told her I have a great love for all of Heavenly Fathers children & that included her. I don't judge her for her decisions & she doesn't judge me for mine.

She then started to explain what she believed in, which was very interesting. She believes that when we die we become the air, the trees, the animals & we are reincarnated. She also believes that we reap what we so, in Karma... I also have some beliefs in that. She believes in live life to the fullest.

I had to get back to my office & we ended our conversation with a hug. I thought to myself, wow, I have been praying for a missionary experience for so long & I just had one! Yay!! I often feel very shy when it comes to sharing the gospel to those around me. Maybe it's because my husband is a non member & he knows somewhat about the church but isn't ready to get baptized. I don't want to pressure him so I don't bring it up a lot. I do try to be an example to him & my son though.

Hopefully in a years time & can give the missionaries her address & she can be baptized... wishfull thinking on my part. You never know where your life leads you, you just have to follow it & not to get tripped up on the many distractions along the way.

On another note. I am enjoying my Temple prep classes. I can not wait to walk in to the Temple & be enveloped in the spririt. I pray that I can continue on my journey so my family can be sealed together for time & all eternity!

GO OUT AND VOTE TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH 2008!

2 comments:

Anita said...

That's awesome! I know I need to pray for those experiences. But I am also shy about sharing, will work on that.
I think you can see from my blog where I stand on Prop 8.
I know that this church is true and that we have the awesome gift of having a Prophet who councels us in these latter days. I am so grateful for that. This last General Conference was very moving and I felt the spirit so stongly during the talks. I am grateful for enduring faith, even when I feel like giving up, I know the Lord hasn't given up on me. We are so blessed to live during this amazing time on earth.
I love you and pray for you. Good for you, preparing for the temple. It is such an amzing blessing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.